About the Collaborative

The Crochet Collaborative was established in July 2006 to promote an interest and skill in and appreciation for crochet while serving the community. We've grown into a diverse group of crocheters who have banded together to work collaboratively to learn new techniques and solve age-old thorny crochet problems (skipped or tight stitches, ever-widening rows, flubbed patterns, you name it). The only requirement to becoming a member is a willingness to learn. We will teach you the basics -- in return you agree to make something for charity.

We've collaborated on several charity projects, including crocheting baby blankets for Project Linus, and small hats for Caps for the Capitol. We've also donated blankets to a local infants home. While we all have our ongoing personal projects to bring to meetings, we're always open to new special project suggestions.

So, who are we? We are more than co-workers, more than colleagues. We are a community of friends who share a passion for crochet. The Collaborative is totally unstructured, totally free, totally fun. If you crochet, are experienced or just learning, grab some yarn and join us. The Collaborative meets every other Tuesday for lunch to sit and chat while we work on favorite projects and share our passion for the art of crochet. Most members work in the Federal Triangle, Washington, D.C.

Monday, April 21, 2008



Well, we finished the baby christening set. It is beautiful. See the picture of us hard at work and of the finished product. The set on top is the new one with the original below. The stitches are a perfect match. The yarn has the same silver thread but is a slightly different texture even though it is the same brand—Lion’s Baby Pompadour. We both learned a lot doing the project. We recognized the 5 double crochet shell stitch as the stitch used and found a pattern which had the instructions for the two rows of the shell pattern. It was for a potholder but we adapted it to the number of shells each item required. The afghan was no problem. I learned how to make booties. I must have downloaded at least 100 patterns before I found the one that can be made in one piece and that matched the original ones. The pattern for the booties was from the vintage pattern site and was dated in 1920 era. The cap was made using a pattern from an old baby pattern. The gown turned out to be a real challenge. At first we thought the yoke was separate but then a friend looked at the original one more closely and determined that the yoke is made as part of the back and two fronts with reductions in the last row of the gown back and fronts to make the puckers, marking the beginning of the yoke. The result is a perfect match right down to the elbow space you don’t find in modern patterns. We have since found out that there is a boy and girl so we figure that the older set, which is a creamy color, will be for the boy and the new one, which is bright white, will be for the girl. We washed it and dried it and it came out much softer. Before washing it, I had my poodle, Lexe, model it. We are pleased and hope the mother will be as well. We couldn’t have done the set without collaboration with other crocheters. Another example of why women formed quilting bees—it is much easier to identify stitches and match them when discussing with another. Thanks everyone for your help. We are now ready to rest a bit before tackling anymore items

No comments: